There have been a lot of speculations related to spray tanning after getting a laser hair removal treatment done on your skin. Is it safe? Should you do it? How long you should wait? The questions are endless.
If you are considering getting a spray tan after laser hair removal, there are some important things to consider.
Tanning can have an effect on the results of your laser hair removal, so it is important to be aware of the risks and take precautions before and after your tanning session.
In this article, we will discuss what to consider before getting a spray tan after laser hair removal and how to ensure that you get the best results.
Is it safe to apply fake tan after laser hair removal?
Yes, it is generally safe to apply fake tan after laser hair removal. But it is best to wait at least 5 – 7 days after the treatment before doing so.
This allows enough time for any redness or irritation from the laser treatment to subside.
It is also important to be gentle when applying the fake tan, as the treated area may be more sensitive than usual.
Inform your spray tan technician beforehand that you have recently undergone laser hair removal. They may need to take extra care when applying the spray tan to the treated area.
Some people suggest covering the treated areas with a barrier cream before the spray tan to prevent the tan solution from coming into contact with the sensitive skin.
We recommend you to consult with your dermatologist before applying fake tan after laser hair removal.
What are the Benefits of Spray Tanning After Laser Hair Removal?
- Concealing redness and irritation: The spray tan can conceal redness and irritation caused by the laser hair removal treatment, as well as any unevenness in skin tone that may result from the treatment.
- Enhancing the appearance: Spray tanning can enhance the appearance of the skin and provide a more even skin tone.
- Boosting confidence: Spray tanning can boost confidence, especially when your skin is glowing with that bronze glow. This will help if you were too self-conscious about the appearance of unwanted hair.
- Getting ready for an event: If you are getting ready for an event like a wedding or a vacation, spray tanning can help you to look and feel your best.
- Helping to keep skin moisturized: Some spray tanning solutions contain moisturizing ingredients that can help to keep the skin hydrated and nourished.
What to Consider Before Getting a Spray Tan After Laser Hair Reduction?
- Wait for at least a week: Dermatologists and laser hair removal experts recommend waiting for at least a week after laser hair removal before getting a spray tan. This allows enough time for the skin to heal and recover from the laser treatment.
- Inform the technician: Be sure to inform the spray tan technician that you have recently undergone laser hair removal treatment. This will give them a heads-up to take extra care when applying the spray tan to the treated area.
- Cover the treated area: Applying a barrier cream on the treated area before the spray tan prevents the tan solution from coming into contact with the sensitive skin.
- Consult with your dermatologist: It is best to consult with your dermatologist before getting a spray tan after laser hair removal. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your individual case.
- Avoid getting a spray tan on the treated area if you are using certain laser hair removal technologies like IPL. It can cause hyperpigmentation.
- Be gentle with the treated area: Be careful when applying and removing the spray tan, as the treated area may be more sensitive than usual.
How Should You Prepare for a Spray Tan After Laser Hair Removal?
These are a few steps you can take to prepare for a spray tan after laser hair removal:
- Wait for at least a week after the laser hair removal treatment: It is important to wait for at least a week to reduce the risk of irritation or an adverse reaction.
- Exfoliate the skin: Gently exfoliate the skin before getting a spray tan, this will help to remove dead skin cells, and promote even absorption of the tanning solution.
- Moisturize: Moisturize your skin well before the spray tan, this will help to keep the skin hydrated and nourished.
- Wear loose clothing: Wear loose, dark clothing to your appointment and avoid tight clothing. This will prevent any transfer of the tanning solution onto clothes and allow it to dry evenly.
- Remove any residual oil: Wipe any oil present on your skin before going for a spray tan.
- Use sunscreen: Apply an oil-free sunscreen or lotion with a good amount of SPF that will keep your skin protected from sun exposure.
What Are the Best Products to Use During and After a Spray Tan Post Laser Hair Treatment?
These are a few products that can be useful during and after spray tanning, especially when you got a laser hair removal treatment.
- Barrier cream: A barrier cream can be applied to the treated area before getting the spray tan. This will prevent the tanning solution from coming into contact with the skin and reduce the risk of irritation or an adverse reaction.
- Moisturizer: A good quality moisturizer can be used before and after the spray tan to keep the skin hydrated and nourished.
- Exfoliant: A gentle exfoliant can be used before the spray tan to remove dead skin cells and promote even absorption of the tanning solution.
- PH Balancing Spray: A PH balancing spray can be used before the spray tan to prepare the skin for the tanning solution. This will help to ensure that the tan is even and lasts longer.
- DHA-free product: Look for DHA-free products. DHA (dihydroxyacetone) is a common ingredient in spray tans. It can cause irritation on the skin after laser hair removal.
- Soothing lotion: After the spray tan, use a soothing lotion to calm and hydrate the skin.
It is safe to get a spray tan after your laser hair removal treatment, considering you are taking appropriate precautions.
Take the above pointers into consideration to enjoy a healthy-looking bronze glow after getting laser hair treatment on your skin.